How to Make a Complaint

If you wish to make a formal complaint, please do so AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, ideally within a matter of a few days. This will enable us to establish what happened more easily.

If doing that is not possible, your complaint should be submitted within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem; or within 12 months of discovering you have a problem.

Our Complaints Procedure can be downloaded here (This document is also available from reception).

You should address your complaint in writing to the Practice Manager.

You can also download a leaflet which explains how to complain or give feedback about NHS services.

Healthwatch Northumberland

If you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us you may wish to contact Healthwatch Northumberland:
Independent Complaints Advocacy Northumberland
Adapt North East
Burn Lane
Hexham NE46 3HN

Tel: 03332 408468

Taking it further

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome you may refer the matter to:
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
London SW1P 4QP

Tel: 0345 0154033

What we will do

We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days and aim to have fully investigated within 10 working days of the date it was received. If we expect it to take longer we will explain the reason for the delay and tell you when we expect to finish. Once the investigation is completed we will be in a position to offer an explanation in writing or convene a meeting.

When we look into your complaint we aim to:

  1. Find out what happened and what went wrong.
  2. Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this.
  3. Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate.
  4. Identify what we can do to prevent the problem occurring again.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

We keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are not the patient, but are complaining on their behalf, you must have their permission to do so. An authority signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness or infirmity) of providing this.

People who can help you with your complaint

Free confidential and independent support is available from:
Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
North of Tyne PALS
The Old Stables
Grey's Yard
Morpeth NE61 1QD

Tel: 0800 032 0202